Monday, December 12, 2011

Digital Lesson Plans For The Substitute Teacher

Once again, as I am creating tasks that need to be done this year, the question always pops in my head.
  • "There must be a better way to do this!"
As I created my lesson plans for the substitute teacher, I decided to go digital.  I created my instructions using my iPad2 camera and uploaded them to YouTube.  As with everything this year, I have reflections below which will make the product better for the next time that I do this.





Reflections:

  • I need to slow down.  Originally, I thought I would directly email them to her.  This would have limited me to 50 seconds as emailing video from iPad2 only allows 50 seconds.  
  • I eventually uploaded them to YouTube and placed them as UNLISTED.  This limits the number of people that can view them, but provides a lengthy opportunity to explain details.
  • Needed to have substitutes email, which I obtained from the sub list.
  • In the email, simply included the link to the YouTube page of the video.  The thing that I love about YouTube is that it doesn't matter if you are on a Mac or Windows, have QuickTime or Windows Medio Player, usually all computers will play YouTube videos.
  • I know that the work the students are doing looks "old fashioned", but with a blog post, it is the easiest way for me to ensure that some learning will take place during the days that I am absent.
  • In addition, I sent an email to the students explaining that I am not on another planet!  They may contact me with questions at any time and I will respond to them.
  • Overall, I believe this is a much more visual way to present lesson plans to substitute teachers!
Try it!  Let me know what you think!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...